Butterfingers

Remember last week when I dropped a can of Coke on the floor at the gas station and it exploded everywhere?

Today it was my sandwich.  And yes, it came out of the paper wrapper and landed on the door mat.  And yes, once again, I was embarrassed.  I had already paid for my sandwich and was just about to walk out the door when juggling a can of pop, a sub sandwich, a wallet, and a set of keys became too much for my clumsy hands and the sandwich was the thing to go.  It was one of those slow-motion moments too, where I could see the sandwich paper slowing unwinding in a spiral down to the floor and the shredded lettuce flinging itself to freedom.

Luckily they made me another sandwich and didn't make me pick the pieces of lettuce out of the spikes on the rubber floor mat.  But once again, I had an audience to my sandwich shenanigans.  At least this time, there was no outward heckling, just some muttering and laughing, which I chose to ignore...mostly.  After I got my new sandwich and was heading for the door (this time with my sandwich in a bag) I dropped my keys on the ground and had to pick them up in front of the guys who'd already gave me weird looks once.

Today is not my day for keeping a hold on things.  I hope no one hands me their baby, expensive china plates, or flat-screen TV today, because I'd probably drop those too.

Comments