Woman Homesteader

Joey is in North Dakota for the rest of the week, hunting with his buddies.  This leaves me to find out if I can take care of an old house, 11 sheep, 4 chickens, 1 rabbit, and 2 very mischievous dogs with selective hearing all by myself.

I already take care of both dogs, the rabbit and the chickens, as well as the cooking, cleaning, laundry, dishes, grocery shopping and pay the bills.  When I think about it, Joey pretty much just looks after the sheep and takes the garbage out before work on Friday mornings.  And brings home (part of) the bacon...and the deer meat (which I don't eat.)

Sure, I couldn't pay the mortgage on my librarian's salary, but I can keep the house running.  And the animals fed.  But I like having Joey around.  So even if this week tests my ability to live alone and run a small farm-yard, and I find I can handle things pretty well solo, I'm still counting the days until he comes home.  After all, I'm still terrified of getting knocked down by the ram, a little scared of the rooster, and I couldn't pick up the dead mouse I found upstairs last night.  (Good thing Joey was still there to pick it up and throw it away.)

So I'll pull the blinds tight and tremble whenever the dogs growl or bark at something in the dark and and try to summon the courage of the pioneer women I have read about who settled their own homesteads alone on the prairie.  And hopefully I won't find anymore dead mice.   

Comments

  1. I give you soooo much credit! I can barely be in my apartment alone- you are so amazing! Too bad this weekend is slammed- I would have totally driven out there for a girls weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment