Monday, October 3, 2011

Welcome to October

For some reason, this is my crazy-busy month.  Every weekend is packed with invites and activities, the weeks are full of board meetings and the beginning of bathroom remodeling at the library, and Joey's long hours in the field get even longer.  And somehow in the mix of everything, I am trying to get in a little time to work on updating my house.  It's going to get crazy, people.

Friday night, I picked my mom up from the train station (about 25 minutes away).  Saturday morning, we went on the Spoon River Scenic Drive, which is a two-weekend-long event in my county where all the small towns hold events and everyone sets up tables of crafts, junk, food, and antiques to create flea markets.  It is a beautiful drive through the country, past golden cornfields and red-orange trees, and did I say, flea markets?!  My mom and I had a lot of fun driving around and picking through all the stuff.  We bought some pumpkins and Halloween decorations, jars of homemade jam, and vintage table cloths.  I got a painting for my upstairs bathroom for $2 and some little owl figurines, because I cannot resist a cute owl.  We also had a few laughs about the interesting assortment of fried foods, such as fried butter and deep-fried pb&j sandwiches and the "homade" pulled pork.

After a few hours, we stopped at a diner to refuel and get some sandwiches (not deep-fried).  My mom took out a little notebook she carries in her purse so she could write down some of the things she bought.  After we left the restaurant, we were commenting on how our waitress was so concerned about getting our food out quickly, and the fact that she gave us free drinks to go.  My mom thought maybe she owned the restaurant, and then she thought about how she was writing in her little flip notebook and wondered if the waitress thought we were restaurant critics and were jotting down notes!  Or she could just have been a really good waitress.  Maybe we're still not quite used to country hospitality.

After our jaunt through the countryside, we worked on repainting one of the upstairs bedrooms and then tried to fix the dryer.  One hour and several YouTube videos later, it is still not put back together.  Don't ask.  My mom had to catch a 7 am train the next morning and I spent the rest of Sunday painting the bedroom and started priming the cabinets in that room for paint.  I hung some artwork in the bathroom and stripped peeling paint in the hallway.  Little by little, it is coming along.  My goal is to have the upstairs finished by Christmas.  We'll see.  All my pictures are on my mom's camera, so I'll post some after she emails them to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment