Monday, October 24, 2011

He's baaaack

Joey's back.  And I survived managing household and farmyard fairly well by myself for 5 days.  I was quite pleased with myself.  As much as it was reassuring to know that I can handle things alone, I was pretty lonely.  You can only have so many conversations with a black lab and an aussie before you realize you are quickly slipping into cat-lady territory and need some human contact.  

On Thursday, I bowled as usual, and I actually got my highest score ever.  Probably because I was playing with 3 guys since Joey wasn't there and neither was the other woman on my team.  I had to keep up with the boys.  I even got a couple strikes.

On Friday, I started feeling like a cold was coming on, so I picked up a pizza after work and snuggled in with the dogs and Netflix on my computer.

On Saturday, I woke up with a cough, but wanted to get out of the house so I threw some Ricola throat drops in my purse and went to an auction.  It turned out to be a gorgeous, sunny day and I knew a few people at the auction from the library.  Being auctioned was a house and most of its contents for an elderly lady who was downsizing to an apartment.  There were a few things I wanted to bid on: an antique dresser, a green McCoy mixing bowl, and a funny little antique doll in a shoe that I thought my mom might like for her birthday.  Of course, the things you want to bid on are always auctioned last, so I was there for a few hours.  I enjoyed being outside for the day but I think I over-did it by standing for hours to watch the bidding because by the time I got home my back was aching and I was ache-y all over.  I spent the rest of the day lounging and watching movies and made a banana nut bread.  The nice thing about not having to cook for two is that I could eat a slice of banana bread with butter and a mug of cocoa for dinner.

Sunday, I was a little productive and boxed some things up for Goodwill and took a nice Sunday drive through the countryside to get to the Goodwill 1/2 an hour away from home.  I spent the rest of the day cleaning house and spent some time outside on my front porch to enjoy the last of the warm weather for the year.  

Joey got in around 11:30 pm last night and we are both back at work today.  I am still feeling sick, but I don't have anyone to cover for me at work until tomorrow afternoon. I have to get better soon because I am going home to see my family from Texas this weekend and then coming back and entertaining the in-laws for a few nights.  And Thursday I have a Haunted Library event that I planned totally last-minute, have a severe lack of volunteers for, and may end up being a disaster.     


  1. You can do it, Whit! Good luck and feel better =) Miss you!

  2. Miss you too, Alex! Are you coming home for Thanksgiving?