County Fair

Last night, Joey and I went to the county fair.  We live in an entirely rural county, with a few towns over 1,000 people, and even fewer stoplights.  Last year, as new residents of the county, we went to the fair to look at the sheep and see our new neighbors who bring their sheep to the fair every year.  We were excited and happy with our new lives as "country folk."
On the "fairway"

There is a county fair in the suburban area where we grew up.  I was even a member of the Achievers 4-H club for 6 or 7 years. I sewed and made "campcraft" projects, did charcoal drawings, and even refinished an old patio set that took me all the way to the state fair.  I had quite a few 4-H trophies in my day, something that was unusual among my friends in the city where I grew up.  I raised two rabbits and they became pets instead of show bunnies, living long into my college years.  But I could never show livestock.


We got our sheep last August, and we love being shepherds.  They are wonderful, serene animals, that sometimes go looking for greener grass on the other side of the fence, or like a couple weeks ago, down the street in the neighbor's yard.


This year, we knew the layout of the tiny fairgrounds.  To the backdrop of the carousel music, we ate pizza and drank a lemon shake-up.  We looked at the rabbits, chickens, and ducks.  Stopped in the pig barn and overheard a little girl point at a pig and ask her dad, "so this is going to be bacon?"  It makes me want to say that kids in an agricultural county must have a better grasp on what goes into their happy meals.  

We took a ride on a rickety old ferris wheel.  It's always fun to get an overhead view of the fair below.  

After the ferris wheel, we played the ping-pong ball toss and won a goldfish.  My last fair goldfish lived on the kitchen counter at my parents' house for about 8 years.  I think the secret to its long life was that my mom sung to it every morning.  And it had a bubbler.  Most people just stick it in a bowl, but I think the bubbler is important.  We don't have one yet, but Joey said he would blow bubbles with a straw...  I even Googled "what to feed a fish when you don't have fish food."  Turns out, a lot of different stuff.  Like frozen peas and lettuce.  Who knew?  Joey insisted it could eat some bread crumbs.  

We ended the night by watching the Fulton County Fair Queen contest and eating an elephant ear.  We left at 9:45pm and they still hadn't crowned a Queen.  Guess I'll have to read about it in the paper.  Anyone out there have some fun fair memories?  

Comments