Time flies...when you're reading a book.

I just cannot get enough of our little lambie Patrick or this warm weather we're having!  Lambs and sunshine, a sure sign of spring, right?  


Another slow day at the library today (people must be out enjoying this weather).  Someone returned an interesting book today that caught my eye when I was checking it back in.  I read a few pages, and then before I knew it, it was 3 o'clock and I had read the entire book!  Whoops.  It is called Escape by Carolyn Jessop and it is her story of growing up in an extreme polygamist religious sect and her escape from the community (literally in the dead of night with $20 in her name) with her 8 children and her battle for custody.  It was amazing to read the kinds of things that some people believe in and the extreme lives they live for what they believe.  She was married to a man that was twice her age at the age of 18 and was his fourth wife.  She was abused by her husband's other wives and had no control over her own life or lives of her children until she stole them away in the middle of the night to the sanctuary of others who had fled the cult.  She was the first woman to run away from the cult and actually get custody of all of her children and later testified against Warren Jeffs, the leader of the cult.  It was an amazing story.  It was remarkable to read what she went through for her children and how hard she fought to save them from such a brain-washed life.  I guess I am feeling a little sentimental about mothers who would do anything for their children, especially after my birthing experience yesterday with Phyllis. (Thanks Mom, for all you do for me!)  It was absolutely unfathomable to believe that thousands of women in the United States are living without any kind of rights or freedoms.  Interesting read...just a suggestion from the librarian!


Other than that, not too much going on today.  I'm pretty tired after all the excitement yesterday, kinda like Dodge in the photo below.
It's a tough life, but someone's gotta do it.

Comments