Five Months Flew By


I know it's been a little quiet around the blog for almost 5 (!!!) months, but it has certainly not been quiet on our little farm!  Somehow over these long days and sleepless nights, our baby has grown from a sweet 7 lb. 7 oz. newborn into a hearty 15 lb. 2 oz. baby.  So much has changed in our lives over the last 5 months.  

Last night, as we hung ornaments on our Christmas tree we were thinking about the wonderful secret we were keeping to ourselves one year ago, waiting to share the news of our growing family until Christmas Eve.  And now he is here, and the world keeps spinning and he keeps growing and learning, and we're just hanging on for dear life and trying to cherish every moment of new parenthood.  


On top of giving all of my mind, heart, soul, and energy to Levi, I am still working full time, as well as trying to stay on top of the cooking, dishes, laundry, cleaning, paying bills, and looking after the two dogs.  The sheep and chickens have mostly fallen into Joey's care.  After six weeks of maternity leave, Levi and I went back to work at the library.  So far, bringing Levi to the library with me has worked out pretty well and I am so thankful that we haven't had to search for and pay for childcare yet.  And even though it is pretty exhausting, I feel like I have the best of both worlds of a stay-at-home mom and a working mother; I am still able to work at a job that I love and have an income to provide for my son and I get to spend all day with him and know his schedule and watch him learn and grow.  


I am trying to think back to what has happened at our little farm over the last five months...our 1/2 acre pumpkin crop this year was a bust (we lost almost all the pumpkins to disease or pests), Joey drove to Nebraska with my dad to pick up a new (to us) John Deere tractor with more horsepower to do more work, and our second shipment of our wool yarn came back from the woolen mill on Halloween!  We've been busy dying our yarn and bought some new dye colors this year.  We are trying to think of more places to sell our yarn besides Etsy and the local yarn shop.

This year, we took our little butterball turkey to three family Thanksgivings.  It is hard to live far away from family and friends now that we have a baby.  Whenever we go home, everyone fights over getting to spend time with us!  

Last week, we started getting seed catalogs in the mail from Johnny's and Seed Savers.  One of my favorite things about farming and cultivating a garden is curling up during the winter and dreaming about what to plant in next spring's garden.


Here's hoping I can make time to update this little blog every once in a while...maybe I should make that my New Year's resolution!  Usually I find I have to type everything with one hand while I hold a wiggling baby in my lap with the other.  It turns out I have learned to do a lot of things one-handed, with a baby in my arms, including brushing my teeth and checking out books at the library.  


Comments

  1. Oh goodness! I am so happy for you. He is adorable and obviously has you wrapped around his little finger...which is not a bad thing. I love to see a baby that is so totally loved by their parents. You can see the joy and happiness in the baby's eyes. Just like Levi's.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment