Catching Up and Getting Ready

It's been a while since I've last written.  The seasons have changed and spring has sprung itself upon us and warm days and stormy nights are bringing us into summer.  The sheep have been sheared.  Joey sheared all of our sheep himself this year, seven adults in total.  The sheep have been let out on their pasture and the lambs are enjoying their first taste of grass and Millie the pony has been kicking up her heels and running from one end of the field to the other.  Her joy to be out in the open is the same way I feel about being outside again.  Something about being pregnant this winter gave me a bad case of cabin fever and I couldn't wait for spring.

So I've been enjoying it as best as I can with my growing belly in tow.  I've been hanging laundry on the line outside (although I can't lift the basket of wet laundry so I have to wait for Joey to carry it up from the basement for me).  I've been nurturing tomatoes and peppers and basil from seeds in my windows and watching all the green coming up in the garden where Joey has planted onions, potatoes, broccoli, beans, peas, lettuce, spinach, sunflowers, squash, and sweet corn.  We extended the second garden this year and we are still running out of planting room.

I've had two wonderful baby showers back at home with family and friends and I have one more in June out here at the library with all the friends I've made in the last 3 years.  I've been trying to prepare for our summer reading program at the library and get everything ready for when I leave to have the baby in July.  I will be at home for a few weeks with the baby and then back to work, bringing the baby with me to the library.  At least that is the plan for now.

Joey and my dad are still working on our upstairs on the weekends and trying to get all the work finished before baby's arrival.  I have eight weeks until my due date so we are down to the wire now.  Fortunately, the nursery is done for the most part, and we just have to set up the crib and dresser and do some painting touch-ups.  The stairs and hallway are another story...

Last night we had our first dinner of the season with food from our farm and local area.  Joey got 20 pounds of beef from his boss' father-in-law that was raised about an hour away.  We fried the last of the season's finds of morel mushrooms and made deviled eggs from our hen's bounty.  I picked some rhubarb and made a crumble and picked lettuce and spinach for a salad.  It felt good to go out in the backyard and find food again.  We ate our dinner on the front porch and watched a storm.  We are looking forward to a wonderful summer of food, friends, farming, family, and best of all, the arrival of our first baby, our little boy.

Comments