Back to the Land

Today was Joey's last day at his job working for a John Deere Dealership.  All summer, the cornfields have been calling to him, the soybeans have been singing his name.  Two weeks ago, he finally gave in to his need to work with his hands and put in his notice.  Next week, he'll be back in the fields and back to driving tractors, instead of selling them.  He can trade his khakis for jeans, his dress shirts for ratty old t-shirts.  From Dockers to Levis.  And I know he's happy.

I'm just glad I don't have to wash the same 3 pairs of khakis and 5 John Deere dress shirts over and over again.  Or be woken up from my beauty sleep in the morning because he can't find any of said clothing items.  Now I'm back to washing dirt, dust, grease and sweat.  You win some, you lose some.  But I'm happy too.  No more hour and 15 minute commute, stress about sales, or pressure to move.  We're staying put, Joey's farming again, and we're content.


Comments