Coming Soon...

Joey finally got around to shearing our behemoth Merino ram, Dodge.  Pictures will be up shortly.  Turns out, under all that wool, he's not that big after all.  He's actually quite handsome.

In other news, the Astoria Library Book Club meets tomorrow night!  We read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.  It has a long title but it was a quick read.  I couldn't peel myself away from this book!  Such great characters and a good story set just after the end of WWII in Britain.  It's my turn to make the snack for the meeting and I thought about trying to make a potato peel pie until I read that the author advised against it.  She said she tried it and would never try it again...pretty much exactly what it sounds like: potato peels for crust and mashed potato (without milk or butter) inside.  Oh, an a splash of beet juice for color.  The book talks about a few things the members of the Guernsey Literary Society ate during the war but nothing sounded too appetizing without flour, sugar, eggs or butter.  So I am going to stick with English tea cookies and maybe some little cucumber sandwiches.  The recipe for the cookies comes from my favorite vintage Betty Crocker Cooky Book that my mom and I baked from when I was growing up.  I will try to post the recipe so that you can read the Guernsey Literary Society and eat cookies too.

Comments